Friday, July 21, 2006

Philospher's Wool sweater

It took me a few tries but I have the Philosopher's Wool sweater started with this sleeve. This is the first time I've done Fair Isle and I was on a learning curve to knit with both hands but it's worth it as the Philosopher's Wool technique weaves in all of the yarns on the back as you go. The wool is minimally processed so my hands get nice and soft from the lanolin. I also have to pick out bits of vegetable matter which, for some reason, I find kind of cool. Connecting with the farm from my living room, I guess. This is definitely not a portable project though as all of the colors pretty much have to be handy and I have to concentrate to read the graph. The upside is that it goes much faster than socks on itty-bitty needles!

2 comments:

Dipsy Doodle said...

Hello from Austria! Gosh, this is coming along so nicely! Your Fair Isle Work is fantastic - I haven't yet found the courage to try my hands at it as I'm worried about handling all the different yarn balls at once - but seeing that beauty sure makes me want to try it too one day soon!
Looking forward to seeing more of your progress photos as you knit along - happy knitting!

Dipsy D. http://www.millharrow.com/weblog

Susan said...

Thanks for the compliments, dipsy doodle! Fair Isle scared me too but it's not that difficult. It really helped me to buy the Philosopher's Wool book and video to learn their two-handed technique. On my sweater, I only handle two different colors on each round (except for the first and last 6 stitches where you weave a color in or out).