Monday, May 12, 2008

3-ply BFL

I finally got a chance to sit down and ply the BFL last night on the new Woolee Winder. I really, really like the tweedy denim result! The Woolee Winder worked so well for plying. I could just get into the rhythm and spin non-stop. It holds much more yarn than the Ashford bobbins. Here is what is left on the lazy kate after filling the WW bobbin.
I did a rough estimate of wraps per inch and got about 50 wpi on each ply and about 20 wpi on the plied yarn. I expect that the yarn will bloom a bit when washed so it should be good for socks, as planned.

1 comment:

BLESSINGS, GRACE & ROBERT said...

Hi, do you like the woolee winder? Is it worth the price? I really love seeing your wheel. I have a traditional Ashford single drive. I do spin backwards long draw but I don't think i spin fast enough for a woolee. Do you like it?
Also I was very impressed that you got pretty much the identical weight on your bobbins, and your plys are spun very lovely.
If you look down in my blog at http://halalsilks.blogspot.com you will see my poor wheel is so very sad as it had an injury. I live where there are no repairers of ashford wheels so dh did it but it does spin ok.
I am enjoying watching your posts, Your colors are very nice too. Is it hard to dye a rolag or roving? Yours are braided so well. I am opening a store on Etsy, I create one of a kind hand spindles, hand painted silk ribbons and other knit/ spin items. I would love bartering if you would ever want to.
smiles,
grace in VT