Sunday, May 31, 2009

dyeing experiment a success

Remember this?
It's the merino/nylon top that I spot-dyed using the idea from The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook.

I finished spinning it and here is what it looks like now.
The top skein is 470 yds., 82 g of 3-ply.
The bottom skein is 430 yds., 42 g of 2-ply.

I divided my fiber into three supposedly equal batches before spinning and you can see that I ended up with way more singles on two of the bobbins than on the third so that's why I have a bunch of 2-ply from the leftovers. Weird how that happened. I used a scale and everything.

I was spinning very finely so that I would get fingering weight 3-ply but I obviously got a little carried away because it's very fine even for socks. I think the singles were roughly 57 wpi. Good grief. I'm not sure what to knit with it. It may have to become lace of some sort.

5 comments:

Walden said...

That is beautiful! I would have never guess that a roving with so much white in it would end up looking like that. Might have to try some dyeing again soon.

Monika said...

I would have never guessed it would turn out like that! I like it as 3-ply.

Jody said...

That is very fine for a 3 ply. I am working on my 2nd batch of 3 ply for socks made with alpaca fleece and nylon. I'm trying to get this second batch finer than the first.

Lynn said...

Wow I NEVER would have guessed the fiber would turn into such a soft color!

Monica aka Gloria Patre said...

Wow! Did you ever spin that FINE!! Kudos to you! Such nice earthy color too! Well done!