Tuesday, May 04, 2010

a couple of skeins

I dyed the Corriedale/bison yarn. First I dyed it purple, decided I didn't care for it at all, and overdyed it with various blues and grays. I'm much happier with it now. Jody commented that she couldn't see much bison in the original skein. That's because there isn't much bison in the blend. I decided to just add a wee bit so they wouldn't be too warm to wear indoors. Bison is very, very warm. Even though I spun the yarn worsted, I fulled it in its bath to soften it up. It was still pretty firm and I have "delicate" feet (they're super sensitive, the big babies) so I used Unicorn Fibre Wash and Rinse, which is really great stuff. The result is a very sturdy yarn that I think will still be comfortable to wear. I hope.

The other skein is 2 ply Falkland from a Spunky Eclectic fiber club top called Zombies. I didn't care for the colors in the top but they blended together very nicely into a gray/blue based multi. Just goes to show that you shouldn't just a fiber by its original colorway. A lot of spinning factors can affect the outcome.

5 comments:

Monika said...

Your first skein is a REALLY pretty blue. I hope you'll enjoy wearing sock made of it.
I almost can't believe that the second skein came from this colorway! I found that most of Amy's colorways are hard to take, but once spun up really look good.
But first you have to get yourself into the mood to spin it! :o)

Jody said...

Your Corrie/Bison yarn looks perfect for socks Susan! I have spun quite a few sock yarns and I always do the 3 ply tight twist too. When I have some time I will get out my bison roving and make a blend (maybe with short stapled brown cria) for some mittens or gloves :) I can't wait to see more of your Gotland fleece. I hope I made the right decision in getting a Polwarth.

SissySees said...

Beautiful yarns. I have a bit of trouble guessing what the yarn from a given braid or whatever will spin up to be!

Catalina Glass said...

Overdyeing is such a lifesavor and brings happy surprises! I have just started doing 3ply(learned on UTube) for my sock yarn and hope it will wear longer.

Gloria Patre said...

I really love the multi-tonal skein! Such a cheery mix of colors!