Tuesday, January 25, 2011

a family picture plus one

I decided to take a picture of my spindle collection. I've been steadily accumulating spindles over the last couple of years and I love them dearly.

I rounded up all the strays that were tucked into project bags and set them all in pottery mugs and a jug. We had an exceptionally beautiful day today, not a common occurrence in January to say the least (it was less than a week ago that we were in the deep freeze), so I was able to take the picture in the sunroom (it was actually room temperature out there in the sunshine this afternoon!!*).

Aren't they lovely?

As I set about putting them all back where they started from I came across my beloved Bosworth Moosie. How could I have taken a spindle photo shoot and not noticed its absence? So Moosie gets its own picture like the star of the show.

*Days like today remind me of reading C. S. Lewis' "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" to the kids where it was always winter and never Christmas while the White Witch controlled Narnia. Today felt like Aslan was on the move and winter was starting its transformation into spring. Of course, days like today are anomalies and there is no doubt that winter is about to smack us all upside the head again soon enough.

5 comments:

Monika said...

Your spindles are beautiful! I love spindles, but stopped myself from buying more (I have two), because I knew I would not use them.
I just read yesterday, that Canadian Winter is getting milder. I've been here almost 15 years now, and I've been saying that the last three years or so. when we first came here, boy there was so much snow, and long, cold winter month, but not so much the last few years.

Mickey said...

What beautiful spindles.No need to wait for spring, i'm green already, with envy for such a great collection.how do you like the russian lace spindles. I have watched videos but not seen anyone use them. I assume any short fiber would work, cotton is so much cheaper than cashmere. Got a couple months to wait for wool festivals. Maybe I could learn the technique before then for spinning with the orenburg spindles.

Lovs2Knit said...

Gorgeous spindle collection. I never could get the hang of spinning on a spindle. I may give it a try again some day.

It's been rather nice down here and we're enjoying the warm weather while it lasts because the cold and snow is just around the corner.

Jody said...

Your Bossie spindle is very lovely. I spy in your collection, the same spindle that I own. I only have one.....a Forrester. It taught me to spin 5 years ago :-)

Jude said...

Your Spindle collection looks like mine! Mine seems to be ever growing!

Hope you sold your Roberta! Hear you have had some very cold weather there! Hope Spring will arrive soon!